We have had an overwhelming response already and the suggestions have been mouthwatering! A popular choice has been to add custard to the centre of your cupcakes, so we thought we’d share with your our homemade custard recipe- it’s so easy to do and is so much more delicious than ready-to-use shop bought options.
Homemade Custard Recipe
You will need
- 290ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split length ways or teaspoon of good quality Vanilla Extract. (Avoid using Vanilla Essence as this can have quite a synthetic taste.)
- 2 eggs, yolks only
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
The Betterware Ceramic Chick Egg White Separator is perfect for this recipe. Separating eggs can be a tricky and messy task, this cute little ceramic chick does the job easily. (It’s also a favourite of Masterchef and This Morning!)
- In a bowl beat in the egg yolks with the sugar
- Heat the milk with the vanilla pod (or extract) in a saucepan and allow to just come to the boil
- Pour the hot milk mixture over the egg yolks and sugar and whisk vigorously.
- When it is completely mixed in return to the pan and stir over a low heat until thick. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Drain in a bowl, removing the vanilla pod if used.
We’re yet to try adding custard to our cupcakes, but if you have we’d love to know the results! Was it as delicious as it sounds? Make sure you share the pictures with us on Facebook!